Hair transplants are done by transplanting hair from thicker areas of the scalp to the balding area of the scalp. Another way of restoration is hair transplantation. In Japan, the first transplant using single scalp hairs was conducted in 1939. Surgeons began employing mini- and micro-grafts to reduce the appearance of transplanted hair on the scalp over time.
Do hair transplants work effectively?
Hair transplants surpass hair restoration solutions. However, there are several considerations:
- Between 10% and 80% of the transplanted hair will regrow completely in 3-4 months.
- Transplanted hair will also fade with time.
- People with dormant hair follicles may have less successful transplants. However, plasma treatment can help in full hair growth upto 75% or more than that as well.
Hair transplants are not suitable for everyone. If you are naturally balding or thinning, or if you have lost hair due to injuries, then it works well. A hair transplant is not helpful for, people who lost hair due to Chemotherapy, thick injury scars on the scalp, and increasing baldness.
Estimated cost of Hair Transplant
Hair transplants can cost between £4690 to £10090 for each session. The following factors can influence final costs:
- The scope of the transplant process
- The surgeon’s experience
- Surgical procedure used
Hair transplants are cosmetic surgeries, so health insurance will not cover them. Medication for aftercare may further increase the overall cost.
What is the procedure for a hair transplant?
It is a procedure of transplanting hair in a bald scalp area from a scalp portion with hair. Usually, it is taken from the back portion of the head or other body parts. Your surgeon sterilizes and numbs the region where the hair will be removed before initiating the transplant. Your surgeon will next use one of two transplant techniques: FUT or FUE.
Follicular unit transplantation (FUT)
Follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS)is another name for FUT. The following actions are taken by the surgeon:
- The surgeon removes a section of your scalp, from the back of your head, with a scalpel. The strip is usually 6 to 10 inches long, although it can span from ear to ear.
- They use stitches to seal the wound where the scalp was extracted.
- Using a scalpel, your surgeon divides the scalp strip into smaller pieces. Surgeons can divide the chunk into as many as 2,000 smaller fragments known as grafts. Some of these grafts may just have one hair.
- The surgeon cuts small holes in your scalp where hair is transplanted using a needle or blade.
- The surgeon implants removed hair from the scalp into the puncture wounds. This is called grafting.
- They then apply bandages to the surgery wounds.
Follicular unit extraction (FUE)
Following steps are done for FUE procedure:
- They shave your back hair.
- Individual follicles are then extracted from the scalp by the surgeon.
- The surgeon drills tiny holes in your scalp and transplants hair follicles into the holes.
- They next apply bandages or gauze to the surgical cuts and wounds.
FUT and FUE procedures can take a few hours to many days to finish. This is partly determined by the quantity of work done by the surgeon. You would be discharged on the same day as surgery. After the surgery, your surgeon will gently remove any bandages. Your surgeon may inject triamcinolone into it to reduce swelling and help in fast recovery.
You will experience soreness at the transplant location as well as in the spot where the hair was extracted. Your surgeon may prescribe pain relievers and antibiotics for several days. Anti-inflammatories, like oral steroids, can also be prescribed by doctors to decrease swelling. To accelerate hair growth, medicines such as finasteride (Propecia) or minoxidil (Rogaine) are prescribed as well.
Few aftercare tips post hair transplant surgery:
- Don’t wash your hair immediately. Wait for a few days.
- It takes usually 3-4 days to carry on with your daily routine.
- Don’t brush or comb for atleast three weeks.
- Don’t exercise for sometime, till the doctor allows it.
One may experience mild hairfall as it is a part of the procedure.
Side effects of Hair Transplant
Scarring is the most prevalent adverse effect. Other possible side effects are:
- Crusting or pus flow in the surgical wound
- Itchiness and swelling of the scalp
- Hair follicle inflammation (folliculitis)
- Loss of feeling around surgical wounds
Minoxidil with Propecia has the following adverse effects:
- Scalp irritation
- Pain in the chest
- Heart rate fluctuation
Select a licensed and certified surgeon. Verify their track record. Study reviews and request to see a portfolio. Before deciding on any hair transplant procedure, consult with your doctor or a transplant surgeon and the Turkey Hair Transplants is one of the best hair transplant clinic in Turkey. Before you get the surgery done, be sure you are eligible for it.